Sunday, August 21, 2005

I drop my anchor, this is where I'm staying


Welcome me to the most beautiful country in the world! After about a day of travelling, I have finally arrived in Reykjavik, checked into the Domus Guesthouse (for 4900 kr plus the cost of a blanket and the cost of breakfast, which should be somewhere around 100 dollars). It is definitely more than I want to pay, but to my surprise, I DO get a bed, the location is great and the breakfast is delicious.


My flights were relatively painless, although I found it difficult to sleep more than a few hours.

1. I was happily surprised on my flight to New York to be seated next to a Chinese 18 month year old and her mother, who happened to also be Chinese. The baby was fortunately very cute, and relatively harmless (although she did spill certain quantities of milk, water and mysterious chopped orange fruit on her mother).

2. The layover in NY was dull. I bought an 8$ Bud Light at the terminal bar and chatted with the guy sitting next to me after I noticed him using a Medtronic insulin pump. I was not thrilled to be talking to him, especially after he mentioned his trip to Thailand by himself, but this is also relatively early in the game and I am not yet used to spending countless hours by myself.

3. Despite not having slept Friday night, and only sleeping a few hours on the previous flight, I barely slept on the way to Reykjavik. I spoke briefly to the Glaswegian who sat two seats over, but we didn't have much in common.

When the sky began to turn light and I could sea the light cloud cover over the North Atlantic, my dread and fear subsided mostly. I remembered suddenly realizing that this is I've wanted to do for years, this is exactly what I want to do and feeling calm despite my hunger and tiredness. In almost any other situation, I would be filled with envy of someone in my current position.

I have not been disappointed by Reykjavik.

The city is quiet now because everyone is still asleep. People party hard here on the weekends, and by Sunday morning the streets are empty, except for the occasional broken bottle.

Today, I hope to get a feel for the city, get grounded, and prepare myself for a 3 day trip in the middle of the week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home