Tuesday, September 13, 2005

En che mondo viviamo

In Cinqueterre, my life slows down. Everything is simpler. Sometimes easier. When it takes me 3 hours to buy a phone card, call a hotel in Venice to make a reservation and wait an hour to use the internet to email the hotel, I am not bothered.

I see the same people every day, drinking coffee or beer at the Bar Centrale. The same honeymooning couples, holding hands while they wait for a slice of pizza. The same mean bartenderess with the green shirt who gets huffy at me no matter how polite I am. The same old ladies sitting on the benches. The same bald guy at the take out shop with the "Legs are Best!" t-shirt. This is what I looked for in L.A., and to some degree found.

When I rolled into Bar Centrale last night at around 8, after a long day of hiking around Riomaggiore and two other towns, Noah and Garrett were there to greet me, and before long we were joined by the rest of the English speaking 20 somethings in town (except for Sarah and her Romanian, who sat at the next table, gazing deeply into each other's eyes).

The day was perfect. Walking up and down more stairs, down to some rocks to watch the waves crash. A train to the next town for swimming in that rocky cove. Jumping off of a very high up rock to smash into the ocean. Reading by the water. Buying another bottle of wine (on credit card!) Taking the train to Montorossa and having a delicious dinner of bruschetta, lasagna and some white wine.

AND
, I ran into THREE people from law school yesterday, all travelling indepenently and without knowledge of each other. And each in a different town in Cinqueterre. Mal I saw with his wife while still in Riomaggiore and ran into again while swimming. Amanda from my Law and Literature class with her husband while I was finding dinner in Montorossa and then Brian from the lounge at a bar later on that night. How many other paths have I crossed without noticing it?

The night involved a big group of English speakers travelling from town to town, picking up more as we went. I had a great time. We met a woman who claimed to have just written a book, and another who was on the trip alone because he husband divorced her instead of coming along. I believe there may have been some singing of Shakira, but a i canĂ t remember.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home