Saturday, September 24, 2005

In the seaside town that they forgot to bomb

Actually..."they" did NOT forget to bomb Dubrovnik. Like many Americans, I know almost nothing about the Serb/Bosnian/Croatian war of the early 90s, but based on a map posted on the Dubrovnik city walls, the old town was extensively damaged by direct missile hits. According to Let's Go, the city went relatively unscathed, and I have noticed no damage.

They cleaned it up well, I suppose.

Two themes lately:

1) weather is getting colder. Days are getting shorter, the nights chillier, more rain. Summmer is clearly over. I look forward to a dark, cold Polish autumn in just a week or two.

2) I am getting lonely. No way around that and it would be silly to pretend it were not so. I still enjoy a lot of the time alone, but I have found myself overly relishing any actual time I spend with people.

And then the places I visited yesterday:

1) The oldest working pharmacy in Europe (14th century?)

2) A museum featuring old art from Croatia, Rennaisance era written music, church pieces.

3) A 15th century Sephardic synagogue. Unlike any synagogue I have seen in the U.S. Small, pews on the perimeter rather than in rows. Made me more seriously consider checking out high holiday services in Budapest or Prague, depending on where I am.

4) A bottle of Croatian wine at a restaurant. It was good. But as I feared, it made me tired later on.

5) Lunch of fish (delicious, but bony), squid, mussels, vegetables and great bread. I asked the waiter what "shto" means in Croatian.

6) Getting really really bored and wandering around the tiny town.

7) Wandering outside the city walls to the "new town", the harbor, some hills, some rain. This was a very long walk.

8) Sitting against a monument in the main plaza with Jane Eyre.

9) Running into Eric and Alex from the night before and invited to join them at a wine bar. Lots of fun. We drank some nice wine, ate bread and cheese, olives and slightly frank discussion for total strangers. Very nice people. Followed this with the local Irish pub, which was quite busy.

10) I went to Club Latino, the one club in town. By myself, I know...but it actually ended up being great. Cover wasn't too bad, I met a few people. Music was terrific (Gwen Stefani, Cure, etc.) and then a band that was even BETTER. Although their music selection was very unusual for a club of mostly young people. "La Bamba"? "Twist and Shout"? "Let's Twist Again"? This old jazz song that I only know from Bjork's cover? Extremely energetic and good voices though.

11) Somehow it became 4 O'clock and I noticed that I was starting to fall asleep standing up (I had had only a handful of hours of sleep the night before) so I went home. The walk home to where I am staying is truly exhausting.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you don't know what love is?
that one?
i don't believe i've ever heard that played anywhere.
i love that song.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Jed said...

It may have been. I forgot. The name was actually on the screen as I was typing so I missed reading it. Shame. I like the other two SB songs I know.

You know, I think you are probably one of only 3 or 4 people who actually reads this thing, including family members.

2:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home