Sunday, September 25, 2005

With no reason to hide these words, I feel, and no reason to talk about the books I read, but still, I do

Why did I not read Jane Eyre before? I know I should be enjoying Dubrovnik (and I am (or was)) but I have been captivated by this book. And I keep on talking about it to people. 2 responded with eyes opened wide and exclaimed "that is my favorite book, don't you love it?" and one girl last night when i asked her where in England she is from, pointed at the book's cover and said "about 10 miles from where the Bronte sisters lived". Hmmmph. I suppose sitting in cafes all day can breed a touch of sentimentality, even in one so hard hearted as myself...

Latino Club Friday night completely wasted me for Saturday morning. My plans to wake up early failed, and I stumbled out of bed and down the long and winding stairs to old town to find that yes, even at 11, there was a ferry to Lopud, another of the Dalmatian islands. And what a deal! 100 Kuna (16 bucks or so?) for a several hour boat tour past while rocky cliffs dotted with abandoned churches and blasted out roadways (some of the only scenery on the trip to rival the Icelandic coastline), a fish lunch, some disgustingly sweet wine and a shot of SOMETHING that the ship's captain passed out to each of the guests on the way back. I had no idea what it was, drank it anyway and then fell asleep. If only I had a picture of the ship's captain (my limited store of appropriate adjectives and similes has once again failed me), I could make you all laugh hard, but instead I will describe him as a fat Croatian man with a thick mustache. Oh, I know who he looks like. Remember the coach in the movie "Major League"? Looks like him but much fatter.

Lopud is a pretty island about an hour away from Dubrovnik. Not much to do there. I read in Let's Go that it contains Croatia's "best" beach, so I walked across the island (over some big hills, lots of steps) twice and back before I found it. I had only about 10 minutes to sit there and check it out before I had to return to the boat. And it wasn't so great of a beach. I think what was unique about it was that it had actual sand instead of just rocks. Which is fine.

I sat around there, didn't do much talking. One of my walks was fantastic though. I walked through half abandoned stone buildings and farms in the island's interior, came face to face with a donkey and brushed past trees and shrubs. I took some good pictures of it. I will show you all someday.

As I said before, I slept on the boat ride back after having barely slept the night before and walked myself to shreds during the day.

Dinner was at Mea Culpa pizza but i had lasagna (no sauce though...just cheese and pasta!), and then went to one of the Irish bars where I read Jane Eyre while drinking cider. Got bothered by some drunk Croatian guys, who then proceeded to bother every other foreigner in the bar, so I didn't feel so bad. I got into a long conversation with a group of English people who were in town for a stop on the cruise ship on which they worked.

While walking to the bathroom I heard a girl somewhere else mention being from Island, and ended up in a long conversation about dancing with the icelandics and 2 luxembourgers, which led into another drink and then a return to Latino Club, where there was actual dancing...

By now I was painfully tired, and around 4 or 5 made my way back home. Planning on just taking a half hour nap and then catching an early bus to Split I put my head down on the pillow...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home