Thursday, October 06, 2005

life is too short to hang around so I stay so long in a place and then move on to the next town

Do I miss home?

A little. I miss Mexican food. I miss knowing my way around.

But it's funny that I don't really miss L.A. so much, as much as I defend it. Not that I would rather live in Europe. By no means! Too many things annoy me about the way things work here (such as unwillingness to use credit cards and my inability to speak any of the languages) for me to ever be happy living on the continent for longer than a few months (which accurately implies that I wouldn't mind living here some day in the future for a few months).

I miss friends and family, but most of all I miss knowing people well and being known well. I'm tired of introductory conversations that don't go anywhere. Listing the places I've visited and remembering to ask where they have been.

I miss being able to fix my problems with relative ease, with being able to explain myself without sign language and for subtle language to be subtle rather than just plain confusing.

But yes, I'm in Crakow, (or Krakow.) Today was spent almost entirely on a train or in train stations. For one of the first times, I had almost no trouble reserving, catching the train, catching the connection and finding my hostel. Was it because I've gotten better at this?

No, I've just gotten better at navigating Prague. Now that I am in Krakow, I need to start all over again.

The trip here was almost painfully boring, while not painful in any other ways (as other trips have been.) I found my cabin with plenty of time to spare, and sat 2 seats away from a 40sish woman from either the Czech Republic or Prague who made no eye contact or speech with me for the entire 8 hour journey. This allowed me to finish my Capek mystery collection (which was actually extremely good, although I got a bit bored of reading mysteries after 48 of them). Unfortunately, I had not properly charged my iPod, so no music. So almost no speech for 8 hours (I ordered a cabbage soup from the cafe.)

I'm at Nathan's Villa Hostel in Krakow now, probably one of the best hostels I've attended. I met a Japanese couple outside and had dinner with them at a Georgian restaurant.

I think I'm going to call it an early night because I have to be up early tomorrow morning.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jed said...

I meant Prague or Poland, Jerk.

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we miss you too, jed!
-lala

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home