Sunday, October 02, 2005

Prague-tically perfect in every way!

Forgive me my pride, but I am very proud of my touristic performance for the first day of October. For the first time, I did not find myself overwhelmed by the amount of sights to see and was able to view many locations in many parts of town before having a quite fun night and calling it an evening.

But I should first mention:

Yesterday was the first day of the trip (since Iceland, of course) where I wore a jacket. Autumn settling in and a rapid change in latitude (Prague is north of Budapest) combined for a much colder climate. I didn't mind so much actually. Budapest had been in my least favorite temperature zone, where if I sit still in a cafe without a jacket I get a chill, but if I walk down the street with one I get overheated. At least here, I can walk AND wear the jacket and feel the proper temperature.

But I did so much yesterday!

1. The Main Old Town Square (Staromestske namesti) where I saw (at least the outside) of many of the most important central Prague sights such as the Old Town Hall, the astronomical clock, the Tyn Church and a bronze statute of Jan Hus. I paid a small amount of money to enter the Franz Kafka museum (Franz Kafka was born in Prague!) which didn't have much, but I liked the idea of being there.

2. The Charles Bridge. Pretty, but packed with Tourists. I managed to not get pick pocketed.

3. Prague Castle. Walked up the 287 steps to the top of st. Vitus's cathedral (I love the church tower climbs -- they make me feel as though I have accomplished something on my trip!), checked out the outside of the Old Royal Palace and St. George's Basilica. Bought some postcards and walked down the castle steps to the river area.

4. Walked past St. Nicholas's Cathedral (the one with the big green dome you see on all the postcards) and took a walk through Wallenstein Garden (where a Czech jazz band played "It Don't Mean a Thing if it Ain't Got That Swing" and "Take the A Train."

5. A long walk to the the outer area of southern Prague to Vysehrad, the "former hanut of Prague's 19th century Romantics", one of the oldest areas in Prague. I saw the oldest building in Prague (from the 13th century, I think?), Dvorak's grave (in a cemetery for famous Czech people), a nice walk around the castle walls for a view of the city, and a hot dog.

6. A great dinner of saurcraut, roast pork and potato dumplings with some of the original "Budweiser", which was actually quite good. Talked to a Danish couple outside who had once lived in Greenland.

7. Back to the hostel, met 2 Australians with whom I went out to "the club." Danced. Actually had a good time.

8. Doner Kebab at the shop outside the hostel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home