Saturday, October 15, 2005

Some people try to pick up girls and get called "asshole;" this never happened to Pablo Picasso

I can´t help feeling increasingly preoccupied with this trip nearing its end and with the fact that I do not want it to be over! 2 weeks left in Europe and then a few days in New York to top things off? Shucks.

The big cultural event of yesterday was a visit to a museum (an important one, but whose name I cannot remember) to see an exhibit of Pablo Picasso´s private collection of his own works. That is, we got to see the pieces that he kept for himself. Sarah´s roommate was working there giving "English language" assistance regarding the paintings so, while we didn´t get in for free, we got some personal advice on looking at the paintings.

I don´t think that Pablo Picasso is overrated. I thought the exhibit was great, possibly one of the best I´ve seen so far on this trip. The works came from a broad range of his career (unlike the Picasso Museum in Barcelona, that had an unusual, disproportionately early selection) and featured paintings, sketches, and sculptures. It is sad to admit, but my capacity for enjoying art is not as great now as it was in college when I was studying it, but I had a good time stopping in front of some of the more interesting works yesterday and giving them a more "in depth" check out. The feeling I did start to get, that bothered me, was of detachment between the artist and the subjects. Not bothered me in that I thought it was bad for the art, but that I felt uncomfortable. By the time I left the exhibit, the coldness started to overwhelm me and I was happy to go.

Earlier in the day, I ate a "curry wurst." A sausage, with ketchup and french fries. I´m not a huge ketchup or fries fan, but I loved the sausage and hope to have a few more before I leave Berlin. I think today might be a good day for a doner kebab (although I had one last night, I just remembered...)

Trouble finding an internet cafe got us off to a late start, and besides for running around on trains, eating a little and looking at maps not much happened until the Picasso Museum at 5.

However, afterwards we went to a dinner part similar to the one the previous night. A stir fried tofu something, a salad, spagetti, "Cars" by Gary Numan...was there anything else? It was a good time. Dinner parties are fun, especially when one person isn´t stuck doing all the cleaning and cooking.

On the way home from the party we met a dude who went to Beverly High and is studying music here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home