Wednesday, October 19, 2005

I have to go when the whistle blows, the whistle knows my name: Baby, I was born on a train

When I was in Iceland, climbing to the top of a hill in Stykkisholmar, I met a German woman who suggested that rather than Berlin and Munich, the best place in Germany is Heidelberg. I took note, and over 6 weeks later, here I am, in a small city that until that encounter I had never even heard of.

Heidelberg is home to Germany´s "oldest and most pretigious" (according to Let´s Go) and for two nights, where I will be living.

Getting here was not so easy. Over a bockwurst and ketchup last night, Angela and I decided to travel together here by train. Easier said than done, right?

An overpriced train ticket, an hour late train, a missed stop in Mannheim, and by mistake getting on the world´s slowest commuter train, we arrived in Heidelberg at around 8 PM. The trip was otherwise uneventful, unless you consider the consumption of 2 jelly donuts by me to be an event worth mentioning.

But Heidelberg hasn´t disappointed. Just as I desperately felt the need to get out of London, Budapest, and Prague, I felt the urge to leave urban and metropolitan Berlin for a smaller place. A place where I can walk throughout the old town in one day and not feel like I´ve missed too much.

We found room at the city´s youth hostel, which while only average in terms of quality had the single most helpful and friendly girl working at the desk I am yet to encounter.

We explored the town at night, had some pizza and pasta and visited a bar which was strangely overpopulated with Spanish speakers.

But how do I FEEEEEEEEEL about Heidelberg? I dunno. I guess I like it. The night felt cold. We had a long walk home, assisted by a Slovakian girl from Hungary studying medicine in Heidelberg.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home