Monday, October 17, 2005

Zoo Station (Just a stop down the line)

Did you know that until a few weeks ago, it hadn´t occurred to me that Zoo Station was an actual metro station in Berlin and not just some bizarre U2 invention? Well fine, maybe it HAD occurred to you!

In typical me-in-Berlin style I got a late, late start on yesterday and by the time I had finished with internet, shower, breakfast (doner kebab!!!) and figuring out a plan it was late afternoon. And since something tells me its all happening at the zoo (I do believe it, I do believe it´s true), Sarah and I headed out to the Berlin zoo to see more non-insect animals than I´ve seen since I was a little child. Or at least more LIVE animals (I saw a lot of really cool STUFFED animals in the Natural History Museum in London). Spider monkeys (stand for honesty), giraffes (insincere), elephants (kindly, but dumb), orangutans (skeptical of changes in their cages), Lions (roaring at each other), gorillas, howler monkeys, a sleeping panda, kangaroos, hippos, rhinos, camels, vicunas, llamas and dromedary (but no alpaca?)

I hadn´t been too excited about going to the zoo and was halfway saying that I "didn´t really care" when I saw a rhinoceros running past me and I screamed "my god! this is amazing! did you see that?"

Dinner at Monsieur Vuong´s (I said the day started late!) which was delicious and reminded me very much of L.A. dining. Super hip Vietnamese dining, full of super hip not Vietnamese diners. I requested some hot peppers for my soup, making this one of the very first spicy meals I have had in Europe. I was extremely impressed.

I met up in the evening with Jannes, the German dude I met in Nice. Unfortunately he didn´t have so much time to hang out because of a project he is working on, but I ate spagetti with him and his bandmate. I think he may be playing in L.A. in April and if possible I am going to try to check them out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home