Wednesday, November 02, 2005

New York is cold, but I like where I'm living

Actually, it isn't cold at all until night. During the day, I have found it too warm for even my light jacket.

For several years, I thought I was in love with New York or at least I loved it very much. And perhaps, I love it still. Yet, something about my experience today made me feel less excited, less enchanted by the U.S.A.'s greatest city. All the great sights and food and oh so very interesting people are still here, yet I feel just a tiny, bit less excited about it.

But why?

1. The subway system just isn't THAT great. Compared to Paris' Metro where there is an appropriate stop for every desirable location, NY's stops are few and far between. The stops are poorly marked (compared to stops in Europe,) the stations are dirty. Inside the cars are typically two maps of the subway system, with no overhead map noting the upcoming stops on the line.

2. The streets are much dirtier than I remember. Sure, I love grit and all, but there is no need for SO much gum to be stuck to everything.

3. I didn't find it as easy to find cheap egg sandwiches as I recalled it to be.

4. People have way more attitude than they ought to have.

I guess that's it. I suppose there is no reason to be disappointed. The other big problem is that because of the jet lag I am waking up way too early and hitting the streets when they are full of people commuting to work (boring!) and getting tired early and missing much of the nightlife.

Yesterday I accomplished much more than I had planned, and for this I am glad.

I was unable to make any plans for the morning (understandable considering everybody works!) so got myself a Dunkin Donuts coffee and donut (hooray! Back in America! (although I must admit, I DID have a few of those in Berlin too)), bought Devil in the White City from a nearby Barnes and Noble (as it had been recommended to me at a Silversun Pickups show right before I left L.A.) and had breakfast at Katz's Deli in the Lower East Side. Hooray for Reuben sandwiches!

From the Lower East Side I walked all the way up to Columbia to meet Cal for lunch. This walk took about 2 and a half hours. In honor of my 100 block walk on Thanksgiving with Sean in NY 7 years ago, I thought it would be fun to do something similar. 7-8 miles later, I was surprisingly sore.

Lunch was good. Haven't seen Cal since December and we had plenty to talk about. I visited his office at Columbia and met some of his fellow grad students.

I spent a few hours on the Columbia campus just walking around and relaxing, mostly talking on the phone. It was a much more pleasant than I had remembered it being 8 years ago, the last time I was there.

Took a subway down to the East Village to meet up with Matt, told him about my trip, caught up on our lives, retold stories of our cross country road trips and had dinner at a Venezuelan place in the neighborhood. This was followed by a sake bar called Decibel where we met up with Patrick, who is now a lawyer.

Fortunately, they couldn't stay out super late (because of work and school) because I was extremely tired by midnight and fell asleep soon afterwards.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home