Sunday, October 30, 2005

Be we in Paris or in Lansing, it Doesn't Matter When We're Dancing

During the month of June 2005, I had 2 French roommates named Claire and Nico. While they sadly left soon after July 4th, they invited me to visit them in Troyes when I came to France. And this I did.

Little did I realize that they did not live in Troyes proper, but in a tiny village outside! And a good surprise it was. I took a train to Troyes yesterday afternoon and watched as they prepared dinner and drinks for a party of about 20 friends they made growing up. This was a striking change in scenery from Paris. It felt far from the city (I could see the stars) and I could vaguely smell trees. Dinner was a delicious stew of sausage, pork stomach and some other unidentified forms of pork and beans which I saw go from raw to steaming hot and delicious. I maybe ate too much, because I felt fool even when I woke up.

There wasn't any actual dancing, but it was an excellent party. Only a few of the Troyens spoke any English, but I had a few "conversations" with those that didn't by using the handful of French words I've learned these weeks, the handful of English words they knew and the old favorite: hand signals!

Claire and I recalled the old days of being roommates. She remembered some funny stories that involved me that I had completely forgotten. That's what friends are for, right?

I played a game called Badaboum! that involved stacking oddly shaped wooden blocks upon each other. On the box (from the early 1980s at least) was a picture of a very awkward looking family. The father's mustache was hilarious. Made me wish i had mine back again.

Later in the evening, Nico invited me downstairs with his other friends to his father's wine cellar. And he offered me a glass of wine from 1986! Quite good, only I wish it had been my FIRST glass of wine rather than my last. Soon afterwards I went into my bedroom to get something out of my backpack and fell asleep. When I woke up again at 4:30 to find the party still bumping, I felt embarassed when everyone saw me.

Earlier in the day, I took the Metro to La Marais for lunch at a Jewish bakery (pastrami sandwich!). I had had a slow day, tired from the night before. Julian and I had slept at his friend's house, and took the Metro home at around 9 in the morning. After getting a few more hours of sleep, a pain au chocolat and some quality time on the internet, it was well into the afternoon. La Marais was a good place to go then, just to chill out and do some oh-so-refreshing walking.

I'm glad I got to go to a party in the countryside. One thing my trip has somewhat lacked is non-touristy interaction with local people. This was not a problem in Paris or in Poland (and that weekend in Reykjavik with Eva), but still thank you Claire and Nico for having me over!

And again, that dinner was super.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home