Tuesday, October 25, 2005

we live on a mountain right at the top

Along with all of Iceland, Cinqueterre and Dubrovnik, Chamonix is one of my favorite spots on the trip.

I arrived at night, and only had the cold, thin air to remind me that I was somewhere near mountains. When I woke up and stepped outside, I found myself surrounded by snowcovered Alps, some with sharp, steep edges and others smooth and white (like mont blanc).

I gather than when moving quickly (as I have been) places with natural beauty are much easier to appreciate than cities with cultural charm. I could wander all over Berlin by myself looking for the perfect cafe, or the perfect bar, or the perfect group of super cool artsy looking friends, but without guidance, I am completely lost. In a place like Chamonix, all I have to do is open my eyes and my jaw drops.

On the other hand, I think I would get extremely tired of places like Chamonix or Cinquaterre if I had to live there. Not enough people. No music scene. Nothing really to do but hike or ski. Which you can only do so much of.

But my one day of hiking yesterday? Fantastic.

First, I took a lift up to 3800 meters (Chamonix is at 1000) which was slightly scary (and very expensive -- 35 euro!) but very worth it. While the weather in the town was pleasant enough, it was icy at the top of the mountain. I had a terrific view of Mont Blanc (actually not THAT impressive, kind of flat) and all the other nearby peaks. I had to move slowly because my lungs were not so adjusted to the altitude.

After lunch and descending the mountain, I put on my hiking shoes that I bought in Iceland and haven't used since and took another gondola up to the other side of the mountain (2000 meters). I walked for about an hour, going up 500 meters before stopping at the peak, meeting a fantastic French couple from Annecy and then walking down the mountain with them. Probably the steepest hike I've ever completed but also one of the most worthwhile. I felt extremely hot from the walking, even though there was ice on the ground around the top.

Hung out at the hostel and had happy hour with some Canadians, had a mediocre Chinese dinner (listening to the amusing interfamilal bickering of some English at the next table) and returned to the hostel for chatting and a viewing of Mars.

Another perfect day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home