Thursday, October 20, 2005

October damp on down the street: remember?

I take that back...I REALLY liked Heidelberg. If only I were a college aged, extremely smart, German speaking student I think I would love to go to University there.

1. Great student scene (EVERYONE there is young, unlike say...Venice...)

2. Good food: delicious wurst, great local beer, saurcraut, the best doner kebab I've had on the entire trip (even better than the one I had in Nice or the one I had in the Turkish neighborhood in Berlin).

3. Not TOO expensive (although definitely no Warsaw).

4. The most friendly people I've met in Europe (consistently: people on the bus, waiters, people working at the hostel, random people on the street asked for directions...what other city can offer this?)

5. A beautiful castle that Angela and I walked up to. We took a narrow and extremely steep path from the Old City center up to an area high above the city (for yet another "breathtaking view".) We took a tour of the Pharmacy Museum (who would ever have thought that I would go to TWO Pharmacy museums on one vacation -- recall Dubrovnik...) that was located in the castle, explored the walls and had a mouthwatering lunch of rindswurst, saurcraut and mustard. Or rather, that's what I ate.

And it finally rained! After weeks (well...since October 1st...) I have been praying for rain, something to cool me down from the just a bit too hot for a jacket/just a bit too cold to stand outside without one weather I've been experiencing and finally got it yesterday. Nothing too serious. While i was in the internet cafe, the clouds decided to break and when i came out the street was damp. Remember? It'll be so long until it's June!

Uh...what else happened...

Oh yeah, I was a glutton. Besides the hostel breakfast and the sausage lunch at the castle, I also ate a hamburger (I called it a Heidelberger -- isn't that clever?) at the Ernest Hemingway cafe (while writing postcards and having a conversation: aren't I a great multitasker?), a plate of Pad Thai at a surprisingly good (you guessed it) Thai restaurant and then a doner kebab to follow up the Guinness I enjoyed at the town's Irish Pub (and ALL European cities seem to HAVE Irish pubs for some reason...)

We walked across the old city bridge at night, sang songs about how terrific Heidelberg was and by late night took the long bus ride back to the hostel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home