Saturday, October 29, 2005

If You Don't Think Paris Was Made for Love, Maybe Your Heart Needs a Telegram From Up Above

I have found it surprising how much I love Paris, (or at least "like it very much, as a friend") considering I'm not much one for "romantic" cities. When I got off the train 5 years ago when I visited for the first time, I was almost immediately enchanted, even though my expectations were very low. I had a similar, although not quite as intense experience two days when I explored by foot many of the touristy areas of Paree. Why? How is Paris able to make me feel that special feeling when a city like Venice was not? I think part of the reason is that while Paris is appropriately reputed to be all about love, it also idolizes reason and order, as demonstrated by the street layout. I got so excited by the wide boulevards, circles and squares that made so much sense. With my Paris Nord to Sud guide, I never got lost!

I saw so much on Thursday and WALKED so much, it's hard to say much meaningful about each individual place.

1. The Eiffel Tower - The last time I went up the Eiffel Tower was when I was 20 years old. I have a picture from that visit, taken by one of two Italian girls I met up there asking me to take their picture. You can see in my face that I'm about to explode with joy. This trip I was not QUITE as enthusiastic, as I have had SO many "breathtaking views" from the tops of cities, but still the combination of nostalgia, collective excitement from the other tourists who reached the very top and the thrill of seeing all of Paris simultaneously is worth mentioning.

2. Arc de Triomphe - Bigger than I had expected or remembered from last time!

3. Champs Elysee - Of course, just like last time, I couldn't help humming the song to myself as I walked. Unlike last time, I didn't stop in the Virgin Megastore to buy Radiohead's Kid A which had just come out.

4. Jardins des Tuileries - Relaxing walk. I stopped at a cafe for an espresso and pulled out one of the few blank pieces of paper I had and began mapping out my trip to NY.

5. The Louvre - I decided to skip the Louvre. Controversial decision, I know. But I went last time and I found it overwhelming. It takes hours and hours, I've already been to a million museums and it was too beautiful a day to get stuck inside. I walked past the outside though.

6. The Opera House - I didn't want to pay to go in to where they keep the cool stuff, but I walked in and saw statues of some all time famous composers like Gluck. I sat on some stairs and poured over maps.

7. Le Marais - Paris' Jewish and gay neighborhood (kind of like West Hollywood, eh?) Really liked it. I plan on going back if I can. Stores selling cheese and sausage and wine! Smaller streets. Some enticing and not too expensive restaurants. Place de Vosges, where I sat on a park bench for about 45 minutes not moving, next to another guy also not moving. This day involved too much walking, so I was pretty worn out at this point.

8. (Metro to) Pigalle to meet Julian at a great bar/cafe whose name I cannot remember but had a chandalier made of wine bottles. I read a bit of Persuasion before he got there. We talked about our days.

9. A fondue place (don't know the name) - Extremely close sitting which forces both physical and social contact with one's neighbors (which I like.) We talked to two English folks teaching in France. The cheese fondue was good, and my stomach was able to handle it because of the wonderful pills that I brought from home. The wine was served in baby bottles. I had never seen such a thing.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you at least spent a little time in the 4th arrondissement. And the Place de Vosages! I can understand why you sat there 45 minutes.

It seems you're packing a LOT into your time in Paris... much more than I did either time I was there!

C x

7:25 PM  
Blogger Jed said...

I pack a lot into everywhere I go. When you travel with the mentality that you will never see each place again, it tends to inspire an aggressive pace and a loose purse.

Also, I am travelling alone, so I have no need to accomodate anyone else. Getting tired. Getting hungry. Having to use the bathroom. I stop when I'm tired and eat when I'm hungry, where I want to go.

4:21 PM  
Blogger LC said...

it's la refuge des fondues. nice place, cool that you went.

11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home