Saturday, November 05, 2005

I don't want to change the world, I'm not looking for a New England

I'm actually home now, sitting in my apartment. it's all over.

But I write about yesterday, not today, right? If all goes as planned, tomorrow's entry about my journey home will be the last. I've had all sorts of grand plans about "wrapping it all up" but who knows if I will have the patience or the energy to do so.

Yesterday ended my short but very socially productive visit to NY. In 2 and a half days I managed to see 7 friends, not counting spending time also with my brother (who I stayed with) and parents (who were visiting). I pat myself on the back, even if that meant cutting most interactions shorter than I would have liked.

Yesterday's was the last of NY. I met up for breakfast in Chelsea with Alex, a girl I met in Dubrovnik. I most elegantly brought along my large backpack as I would be leaving soon for Grand Central Station (to take me to New Haven.) We had a nice conversation over eggs and coffee, but I never repeat the content of actual conversations here, do I? Fortunately, as I had already returned my brother's roommate's very useful map fo Manhattan, Alex walked me to the train station and I was able on my own (with Colleen's very specific and helpful instructions) catch the proper train to Westport.

C had warned me that I would be disappointed by this year's autumn leaf colors in New England. But how wrong she was! While I spent most of the train ride concentrating on Devil in the White City (which keeps on getting better), the view of orange and red trees and the window was a nice contrast to the not so colorful autumn I observed in Europe and would observe in LaLa.

But all worked out well. She was at the train station not only on time but early and drove me (dodging past slow drivers in the left hand lane) along the Merritt Parkway. Which was even more stunning than the train ride (which had included some not so pretty scenery too). I got a quick tour of Westport and then New Haven, where I had not been in 9 years.

Being that I was quite hungry, and that New Haven is famous for its pizza, I made an exception to my general "no pizza" rule (unless it's free) and ate about half of a medium pizza at Modern Pizza. It was GOOOD especially as it had spicy peppers and anchovies, both toppings almost impossible to find on either 1) single slice servings of pizza or 2) free pizza, which is about all I ever eat. And a beer pint for just over 3 dollars! I haven't seen that since I left home, that's for sure!

Pizza was followed by movietime back at C and Mk's apartment. We watched Batman Begins, which was perfect, as it was a movie I had specifically wanted to see. With the exception of Amorres Perros on Alice's computer screen in Warsaw, I hadn't seen a movie since Red Eye, the night before I left. Which was terrible. Batman Begins was great, even if it shared an actor in common with Red Eye (Cillian Murphy).

C, Mk, another friend of theirs and I then went to Karaoke. I didn't sing, BUT Phil Collins reminded me that he is still watching over my trip! 2 dudes did a fabulous version of Phil Collins and Philip Bailey's "Easy Lover", one of my favorite songs when I was 6 years old or so. I had been half intending on doing karaoke at SOME point during the trip, but the opportunity never came up. Besides, with the exception of one exceptional night walking around in Cinqueterre, I haven't heard my own singing voice in long enough to trust it in front of strangers. Also, sadly for me, I didn't really get to enjoy the 1 dollar bud lights the bar was serving, because I was too tired from jet lag to have any. Boo.

The night was finished off with Rudy's, a New Haven bar I have heard so much about. I broke another of my dietary rules: no French Fries. They just smelled and looked so good. I couldn't resist enjoying more than my fair share of Rudy's Frites. Now remember, I don't not eat these things because they are unhealthy -- we've already seen me eat my weight in wurst, eisbein, candy, pain au chocolat and hot dogs. French Fries and Pizza just consistently make my stomach hurt later. Which they did. But i don't mind, because they were both unusually good yesterday.

And that was New Haven. Lunch, a movie, a few drinks, karaoke and another bar. I did see Yale and a notable cemetery from the outside. But how much can you do in fewer than 24 hours?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home