Friday, November 04, 2005

The streets are paved with diamonds and there's just so much to see, but the best thing about New York City is you and me

I feel some regret for not scheduling at least a few more days in New York City. Unlike during my last visit here less than a year ago where I had the sad realization that I had very few remaining friends in NYC, this trip's lesson was that in fact, I have more than enough. Strange how a few key migrations and added acquaintances can completely change the nature of a city as it relates to me, but so be it.

Ironically (is this the correct word?) I spent the morning with my parents (who are visiting NYC this week), eating at Dean and Deluca's and delivering my brother his cell phone.

Mom and Dad walked me to Washington Square Park, near NYU law school where I met up with Alex. Her slight lateness allowed me to begin Devil in the White City, which promises to be very good. I just haven't had the chance yet to really dig into it. Hopefully I won't be too tired on the air flight home tomorrow (!!!)

She showed me around Greenwich Village a bit, including an amazing rooftop view and we had sandwiches and salad somewhere around town. Followed by an ice cream, a walk to one of the piers (unusually pretty day, amazing how cold it got by the evening), and then another cafe for coffee.

Took a somewhat confusing walk to around Union Square where I met up with Mona at 119 Bar, which in the true spirit of my trip's other coincidences was the same bar my brother took me Tuesday night. We then caught a subway to Williamsburg, to another bar, where we drew on coasters, were misidentified by the bartender as guests of last week, and met up with her sister. This was followed by me consuming the largest pumpernickel bagel I've ever had, which made me feel slightly sick, and then walking to a nearby music venue (North Six) to see the Mae Shi play. We hung out at the bar there for a bit, talked briefly with Jeff and Tim and then Mona left and her sister and I went to see the show. The last time I had seen them, I thought they were only okay, but this time I was quite impressed. I don't know if it is because of the mood I was in, or the nature of the venue (probably not, as Spaceland is just as hipstery as North Six was), the sound (most likely -- last time it was so loud I could barely hear what was going on, and this time the sound was perfect) or because the band just got better. Regardless, I enjoyed it.

Took the subway home (early still, only around midnight) and fell asleep quickly, as I have not yet adjusted to Eastern Time. Adjusting to Pacific Time starting tomorrow will be no great pleasure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home